Friday 3 April 2015

Tate Britain from the floor

This is a kind of guest blog post. Well it's a joint effort, I scribed.
Introducing my eleven, very nearly twelve, year old son.
Who I "made" go to Tate Britain with his mum, sister and friends.


Getting the following photos came about quite by chance, when he inventively and creatively got himself out of the "it's boring" place when he began documenting his visit on his mobile phone. He insisted on bringing his phone with him because he was going to be bored. As far as I could tell, this was so he could ignore us all and play games on the train into central London. But he didn't play games.
He took photos. And played with the settings on the camera.

First the panorama setting, "in the massive hall".


"Mum, that's you in the photo and a man who walked along while I took the photo so he's in it twice"



The photo below is taken by me. I found the boys like this, on the floor taking photos, happily ignoring the stares by staff and visitors.


These are some of the photos my son took whilst lying on the floor in the Christina Mackie sculpture.



"This is a diagonal panorama that didn't work because the net is split into three."


Then they tried it in the other galleries.




Next he played with the 'cartoon' setting, experimenting on me in the cafe first.
I hate photos of me, and contrary to what this looks like, I was having a really nice time.


He couldn't wait to get back to the "massive hall", but some of the attraction was being able to skid around on the shiny floor.


and then take photos of these "two sisters, who look like like mine in the future".


Here's how he described the paintings that he took photos of.

"This is three boys playing in a tree with a dog and a lethal weapon, a bow".


"This man looked important."


"Horses grazing, the white horse is the odd one out."


" A weird pose."


"Trees. These trees looked special because they were hidden behind a cloth."
(They were under a cloth, hidden away from the light.)


"I'm not being rude but that was the first black guy I saw in a painting in the museum and it proves that discrimination in those times was real."


"Jesus healing a sick woman."


"A Roman Colosseum."


"She looks like she's lost."


"This looks like the lady from the boat who has fallen in the river and looks even more lost."


"Me."


"I was bored so I found out what my phone could do."

I've been thinking about why I've written this post, bothered to show this to others. It's not about my son, or me, or the seemingly worthy Easter holiday trip to an art gallery, to the Tate Britain. But I wanted to flag up the ways children can access museums and galleries. And, dare I say it, the creative and inventive ways mobile phones can be used in museums. We took sketchbooks with us, even me. But my son did it his way, it wasn't planned, it wasn't expected. But I love the results, he loved the day, and next time I suggest visiting a museum or art gallery hopefully he won't protest quite so much, "because they're fun".  

I wish I had the courage to lie on the floor in art galleries.

Details about Tate Britain on the website here.
Take kids, a camera and see what happens.

26 comments:

  1. Brilliant post! I've taken mine to Tate Modern and they've loved running around 'those funny old blocks' (some sculpture of stylised people - blocks of stone of different heights arranged on some huge grid). Contemporary art goes down a lot better than paintings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. Hats off to the Tate for letting them get on with it. And I have to admit, I wasn't always with them. I had to leave them them to it a couple of times when I went to find my daughter & her friend.

      Delete
  2. What a super post - through the eyes of a child and what a lot of fun and understanding your son gained from it, he will remember that visit for a long time. How wonderful to have that carefree freedom to lie on the floor - I'd love to do that in churches and cathedrals in order to look at the roof - but I very decorously look through the mirror on wheels provided:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh you should, lie on the floor in churches & cathedrals that is. Imagine what we'd see. I reckon we miss quite a bit. I've seen some lovely churches recently on your blog.

      Delete
  3. Love the cartoon setting photos. Glad you all enjoyed it - my kids have a very mixed record in relation to art gallery visits so this is something I think my son (10) would enjoy doing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay. Go. Next time I'm going to give him free reign with our old camera. See what happens. Also when you get there, go to the information desk and see if they have any kids trails.

      Delete
  4. That is brilliant, a new David Bailey in the making. A great way of getting your son finding out what his phone was capable of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. It's good to be bored sometimes, makes kids invent things to do.

      Delete
  5. It is great to see our little ones start to think about things in their own way. My daughter loves art, but she didn't particularly like this museum - I should have told her to lay on the floor and become the art work too :-) Your son has done really well with those shots and showed us some lovely panoramics. Have a wonderful Easter xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. Happy Easter to you & your family too.

      Delete
  6. I've been known to stretch out on pews to look at church ceilings - but I've never had the nerve to lie on a museum floor. (I think I'd be afraid of being trodden on!) Good for your son for ignoring convention and interpreting things his own way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to remember that one, Lying on a pew. Ceilings are not always easy to photograph.

      Delete
  7. I remember lying on the floor in the Orangerie in Paris - swimming in Monet waterlilies! - and I was definitely old enough to worry about knees and getting up again. So you're never too old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done. I love seeing people really engrossed in galleries. If it takes lying on the floor, then so be it. We have been told off in the Royal Academy before. For being too close.

      Delete
  8. I think that this is a fantastic post!!! Just look at the work of David Hockney... Happy Easter! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant post, I love how kids act and react in such spaces. I wish we could all be as honest and spontaneous! Your post is also a good reminder to take the nippers to more exhibitions. Have a great Easter! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. Sometime that 'honest & spontaneous' boy is a pain in the .... Funny how what makes them so unique can also wind you up a treat at times.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanyou. I can only thank my son, without him there would have been no post.

      Delete
  11. Photo number 6 is brilliant! I did once lay on the floor of King's college Chapel to get a picture of the ceiling; I gathered a small crowd of puzzled onlookers but not such great photos as your young man.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good fun and now I want to find the cartoon setting and lie on a floor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a great idea to use mobiles and ipads. If it is good enough for David Hockney.....
    I do also think that playing around with ideas is important for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't seem to have a cartoon setting though.... (just been checking)....

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a really good post. With some great photos.
    I appreciate museums need to protect their exhibits and protect precious things but sometimes allowing us and our children to feel relaxed can only be a good thing. That holy feeling that is in some museums completely puts me off and a snooty person standing by watching your every move is even worse.
    When we were at the Hepworth there was a rapid profiling machine making little teapots which were lined up on the floor. When we went over to look at them my daughter bent down and tried to pick one up, they were glued down. Some officious woman came over and told her not to touch - I asked where the 'do not touch' sign was and it was round the corner from where we were standing. I complained about her manner as it was just rude and un-necessary. Luckily my daughter dealt with it but had she been younger that would have been the end of the fun of the exhibition for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a way to access art! I love his photos and the words he uses to express himself. Ok, so at the moment he has a bad attitude to straight art, but he's there, he's looking and in years to come he will see a picture of That Lady in the boat and appreciate what at the moment has no resonance for him. I'd rather have a child access the art in his own way than sit, bored and unengaged. What did the oldies around say?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...