Thursday 7 May 2015

Museum of the Order of Saint John


I met with a friend to visit the Museum of the Order of Saint John. It was her idea as the museum wasn't really on my radar. She writes for Chetham's Library blog which you can read here.

I didn't really know what to expect, I'm not good on medieval history. I expected knights, but whilst there it dawned on me, that, aside from knowing them as playmobil characters and as dressing up costumes, I didn't really know what a knight or an order was.  


There are clues, you can tell that there were men and they fought battles,


 protected by helmets, shields and chain mail armour.


Obviously not offering complete protection.


But their remit went beyond fighting and protecting, to serving the sick and the poor.
In the 11th century in Jerusalem, Hospitallers, "cared for anyone without distinction of race or faith". From this was born the Order of Saint John and their military arm became the Knights of the Order of Saint John.


Caring for the sick, they stored their medicine in pharmacy jars.


And this looks suspiciously like a bed pan, or perhaps bed warmer.
I forgot to check the label.


These silver platters give us a hint to the Order's rules and values, that the sick were to be, "regarded as if they were Christ, and deserved the utmost respect". Another reason may have been that silver was easy to keep clean and has natural antibacterial properties. 


In the 12th century the order left Jerusalem, sailing across the Mediterranean Sea to Rhodes and Malta to continue their quest to provide food, shelter and safety for travellers.



The badge that you probably recognise from the St John Ambulance, has been their badge for centuries. It has been imprinted onto bread,


and has decorated breastplates and habits.


It wasn't all men. This is Saint Ubaldesca from Pisa. 


I was gradually beginning to understand what this religious military order did, and their place in history. But it wasn't until eating breakfast the next day, perusing the gumpf I had picked up in reception, reading the St John's Trail written for kids, that I really got it. Well the version you've just read above.


I still may well be wrong and there is a lot more to this story, including peregrines, prayer books, canon balls, and door knockers. And their 12th century English headquarters, the Priory of Saint John in Clerkenwell, London, the site of this museum.
Visit the Museum of the Order of Saint John and see it all for yourself.

Still a bit confused? There's more to help kids (and adults) understand.
Like their 'Family Activity Chest'.


Unfortunately we didn't have any kids with us this time.


Check out the Museum of the Order of Saint John in Clerkenwell, London.
Open Monday -Saturday, details on their website here.

As you can probably guess, this story continues on until the 20th century with the St John Ambulance. More on that story in a later blog post.

11 comments:

  1. My Dad was a Serving Brother of the Order of St John (as was my grandad) and earned the position after many years of service in the St John Ambulance (Brigade as it was back then) I'm not sure there's any direct connection any more between the two. They had a Latin motto which was Pro Fide (For the Faith) Pro Utilitate Hominum (For the Service of Mankind). I know he visited the museum on the day he was inducted into the Order. I've never been though. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful connection. There really is a connection between the two. I've yet to write the 2nd post about the museum & it will be about the St John Ambulance. There's a section in the museum, with particular reference to the World Wars. Perhaps worth a visit if you're in the area.

      Delete
  2. It sounds fascinating!! Certainly a lot to see and learn about and that is always great isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one who reads the kids trails! I used to be in the St John Ambulance many years ago but didn't appreciate the history associated with it, good to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great day out! I love museums like this! My boys would have enjoyed every minute of it, too! Love the bread stamp. I've never seen anything like that before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grat place! I love day outs like this. My boys would have adored it! Love that bread stamp. I've never seen anything like it before!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm off to London a few times over the summer and this is now on my list of places to visit. Knights and armour are a big interest of mine. Glad to have found your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very interesting. I imagine the chain mail and armour were heavy. It must have been cumbersome to wear them, and even worse to fight wearing them! And I didn't know that silver has natural antibacterial properties. Really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s a long time since I last visited London Museums, any London Museum. It’s time to remedy that. I really must get away from the backwoods and taste big city air again.

    We have a delightful tiny museum ourselves, it’s in the old lock-up/courthouse/town hall. There might be a post in it for me.

    Thank you for following my blog. I will return.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating. This place has been on my 'to visit' list for sometime, but I haven't got there yet. Thanks for the insight! They were great rivals of the Templars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting post. I just think of knights rescuing fair maidens!
    Not having children with me wouldn't have stopped me from exploring the dressing up box either.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...