Thursday 13 March 2014

B.O.R.I.N.G.

Museums don't keep everybody happy. At the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition at the Natural History Museum, also written about in a previous blog post here, five of us were happy and one of us wasn't. That one is ten years old and boy did he let us know that he was bored!

Trying to distract him from continually asking to "go now", I had a bright idea. I gave him my notebook, down which I had written the beginings of an acrostic. The letters of his and his sister's name. I then asked him to go round the exhibition and find things in the photos beginning with each letter. 

He went off, I felt slightly (if a little prematurely) pleased with myself. We now had more time to enjoy the exhibition in peace.

This is what he gave back to me. Not my acrostic, but one he had devised himself.


Bird
Oosten
Reptile
Incredible
Night
Gorilla

I laughed! Genius, I had succeeded in getting him to look at the photos.

You might be wondering about Oosten. That's Marsel Van Oosten who waited years for the right conditions to take a photo of an Acacia tree in the Namibian Desert, taken in rolling fog as the sun was rising. Wonder if he got bored waiting? You can see his picture here.

My son, despite proclaiming to be bored, he did describe the photos as Incredible!

You can see the 'incredible' photos in the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition at the Natural History Museum until 23rd March 2014.

3 comments:

  1. Ha, that's pretty funny, Love the Wildlife Photographer of the year exhibition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great exhibition. You know your kids love it when they ask for the accompanying book for their birthday. I wrote another post about it here, 'Waiting...' http://artefactsobjects.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/waiting.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I have been going every year with son for about six years and then we go off and have a proper cake stand type of tea. It is something we do together and I really love that time. I highly recommend finding something like this to share with a teenage/young adult son (although it might have to be something else for young Master BORING).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...